Thursday, January 12, 2012

NAAFA Reject

The National Association for the Advancement of Fat Acceptance rejected my book because they said I still have body issues. That's okay. Yes I will always be haunted by body issues. Who among us is totally free of them? Perhaps the question should be, Who is willing to admit she is not free of body issues?
This is where the rejection gets sticky. As a writer and a human on this planet, I'm used to rejection. But the NAAFA reason is suspect. Are they claiming that every member of their organization is absolved of body issues? I've spent most of my life in a fat body, and I find this difficult to digest. I know thin people who have body issues; models have body issues. Perhaps NAAFA members have developed some sort of mysterious Teflon coating, and are untouched by insecurities.
I wonder if a pill was discovered tomorrow that guaranteed a thin and healthy body within a year, how many NAAFA members would turn it down? Just wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment